Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Michigan.

I am here in Grand Rapids after a weekend at Glen Lake. The wind is blowing in the trees, I am wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and a scarf, and spend almost the entire day wrapped in a blanket, drinking coffee and reading on the porch.

This is quite possibly the most relaxing day I have had all year.

We don't have crisp breezes where I come from. We don't wear long sleeve shirts until, oh, about November. and we certainly don't sit on the porch and read in the afternoon because it is normally so humid that it would be akin to voluntarily reading in a sauna for hours on end.

This is my first "real" autumn since I was eight years old, and I am relishing every second of it.

Of course I miss Future Husband something fierce. I miss living in the happy noises of a house of five folks and one very emotionally needy terrier. I do miss the unpredictable rain storms that accompany hurricane season, and the "y'alls," and the seafood restaurants. Of course I miss palm trees, white sand, the strange rainstorms that happen with the sun shining brightly, and my friends who are the only people who don't think I'm a complete loser because I snort when I laugh. I miss it all.

But soon Future Husband will be here, and we will be going to our wedding rehearsel, and then our wedding, and then our honeymoon, and then we will back amongst the white sand and palm trees. and I will probably then miss the cool breezes and the "you betchas" and the comfy sweaters that make Grand Rapids so cozy to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment