Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wedding Music...

Most of the time, music at wedding receptions is pretty terrible. If we're being honest here, NO one likes Shania Twain ballads and the Cha Cha Slide that much, do they? Drawing on my own experiences, I find most reception set lists reminiscent of that syrupy sweet non-music they play on the "Soft Rock" radio stations. Every song has about the same idea; "I love you, you love me, we beat the odds, now we're stuck for eternity."... Pretty bland stuff. Like retirement home food; sure, it'll do, but overall it's repetitive, grey, and flavorless. I myself plan to try to go for some old (Sinatra), some new (Alexi Murdoch), some borrowed (Elton John covering Sinatra), but probably no blues. Let's face it, some aspects of wedding planning are just plain dull. Picking the "appropriate" wordage for the invitations, narrowing down which four cousins will be ushers. I have to say, though, this whole music thing has got me pretty excited. Different songs bring back different parts of our history together; the work-out music from the gym, sneaking looks at each other across the elliptical machines...plane rides to Texas to see him after four long months of Skype dates... the long trip to Michigan for Christmas, and unbeknownst to me at the time, our engagement... the whole thing. Corny, I know, but true. Music has been a consistent player in our relationship when nothing else was. I hope we can put together some music for the reception that really "feels" like us. However, even if this little project never gets completed and we end up with an endless loop of Michael Buble and Top Forty Love Love Songs, one thing is for sure... I myself will perform a Kenny G solo on a jaw harp before I will allow the Cha Cha slide to infiltrate the playlist. You can take THAT to the bank. :)

3 comments:

  1. i take offense... i <3 "you're still the one"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it a little offensive when people play that song at weddings...the premise of the song is that NO ONE ELSE (i.e, your wedding guests) believed that your relationship would last, and it did... It has a bit of a "So, there!" aspect I'm no too fond of... and you just like it because you think Shania is a hottie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol and it didnt last... mutt (yes her exs name is mutt) cheated on her with an uggo

    ReplyDelete